In 1870, Friendship Baptist Church was planted with twelve charter members. The church was named by charter member Deacon Phillip Morris after his home church near Barnwell, SC. William Green Chester served as the ﬁrst pastor of the church that met for services in an old log house near Akins Mill Pond. The members then built a one room log cabin with one window and one door. The church also served as the schoolhouse with about 15 students attending.
Growth & Changes
In 1878, Friendship Church asked permission to join the Union Baptist Association with 11 members recorded. In 1885, the church left the Union Baptist Association and joined the Miller Association. In 1901, Friendship partnered together with other churches to plant another church Bethel Baptist Church between Statesboro and Metter, GA.
A very proud part of our heritage is that the church in 1886 was very early in the adoption of Sunday School being a part of the DNA of the church. The ﬁrst Bible school was conducted in 1935. At this time, the pastor taught a book for a week and on Sunday a test was given on the week’s study.
On December 20, 1950, the church went from meeting for worship once a month to twice monthly. The church has met in worship weekly since 1955. In that same year the church constructed rooms for Sunday School.